Sartell Minnesota History
A professor at St. Cloud State University has found evidence of slavery in several counties of Minnesota before and after the Civil War, a groundbreaking discovery that sheds light on the state's role in slavery and its impact on Minnesota's history. The findings were documented in a new book, "Slavery in the Upper Mississippi River State," by Dr. Robert H. Schulman, an anthropology professor who has researched slavery in the states and along the upper Mississippi.
St. Cloud, MN, also known as Granite City, is three cities and is located 65 miles northwest of Minneapolis in a part of the state rich in dairy farms and other agriculture. The population is about 1.5 million, making it the second largest city in Minnesota after St. Paul, Minnesota. It is also home to the Minnesota State Capitol, the U.S. Capitol and the University of Minnesota - Duluth, making it Minnesota's second-largest capital.
After the city was founded in 1889, it became the seat of the state prison of Minnesota, the St. Cloud State Prison. They renamed themselves Minnesota State Reform School and moved to Red Wing in 1890, where they were re-baptized Minnesota State Training School.
The population boomed and the first granite quarry was founded, which earned the town the nickname Granite City. Sartell started out as a small American town, but got its name because of its proximity to St. Cloud and its location on the Minnesota River.
Meanwhile, Great Northern Railroad built a railway station that quickly became the city's largest employer. Today, it houses a repair facility for Burlington Northern and repair facilities for Burlington and Northern. St. Cloud had steamship traffic to Minneapolis during the Civil War, but the river's water levels fluctuated too much to operate reliably. Many migrants who settled or vacationed in Minnesota traveled mostly across the Mississippi, and the number of slaves approached 20%, mostly Southerners who vacationed in other river cities, including the Twin Cities and Stillwater.
The upper town is located in the northern gorge of the Mississippi, Middle Town was located on the right and Lower Town in the southern gorges. The area is known as Winnebago because it is close to St. Cloud, the Minnesota State Capitol and other government buildings. Upper Town in an area known for its proximity to the Missouri River and next to a train station.
The city's current location was called Third Rapids because it was close to the rough waters that French fur traders encountered when they traveled from Saint Anthony Falls to Minneapolis. The city's current sites were called Third Rapids because they were close to the roughest waters they encountered on their journey from Minneapolis north to St. Anthony Falls and then south to St. Cloud.
It took Pikes six days to travel from Sauk Rapids to a place near Royalton, near Little Falls, where they had to set up winter camp because of the ice. G. Chilton and T.W.Chilton built a dam and a sawmill on the site of the Nichols - Chisholm Lumber Company sawmill. In 1852, 1,300 Ho Chunk people moved to the Sartell area after the death of their leader, the Sioux tribal leader of Minnesota. They lived unhappily between two warring tribes and lasted less than five years when they were resettled in 1853, only to be returned three years later to sell water for the mill.
Pike described in his diary the difficulties he and his men had in getting to the Watab rapids and hunted wounded elk, past many herds of elk and buffalo in the middle of a vast prairie. When the dam was built in Sartell, the Watab ramps were flooded, but rebuilt in 1960. The dam led to flooding of Little Rock Lake, which is about three miles upstream.
Watab Creek in Sartell is marked with the names of the Anishinaabe and Dakota, who lived in the area from the mid-19th century to the early 20th century, as well as the Watab River and its tributary Little Rock River. Wat Abe's, a small group of indigenous peoples from South Dakota, are marked at Wat Abe's Creek near SARTell, marking the locations of their ancestral homes.
In the 1820s, Chippewa and Anishinaabe controlled northern Minnesota, and raids from Dakota to the South continued. In the 20th century, with the arrival of the US Army in the mid-19th century, the raids by them continued, and in some cases even in Sartell, as well as in other parts of Minnesota and Wisconsin. The Chipsewas and the Anishesinaabes controlled northern Minnesota in the 1820s and continued their raids through the Dakotas into the South.
The prison, technically known as the Minnesota Correctional Facility in St. Cloud, opened in 1889 as Minnesota's State Reformatory for Men. After a botched bank robbery in Northfield in 1876, former Minnesota Governor Bob Dole and his wife were locked up and their children left behind in Stillwater.